Since 2011 we are collecting data related to sports actors and how they act on social media. In our very first experiment we have been visualized NBA players on Twitter network. This graph shows how players follow each other in the microblogging space. This type of visualization allows to quickly see how they’re distributed, allowing to design valuable strategies for spreading messages according to their influence.
In this case there are four communities inside the network: (Dark Blue, Blue, Yellow and Pink). Every node is a player and relations are represented by edges. We are working on a full report that will be avaible on numballs.com. Meanwhile these are some of the insights from the graph:
- Kevin Durant, Thunder’s forward, is the most influential NBA player on Twitter.
- Steve Nash (#7) is the only foreign player on the top 20. He’s also HoopsHype tweeter of the year champion.
- Nike players reign, Kevin Durant, Lebron James, Chris Paul top 3 of non-retired players.
- Shaquille O’Neal, Jalen Rose and Magic Johnson still on top 20, even being retired.
- Derek Fisher (#11) is the president of the NBPA.
- Nate Robinson (#14) is the NBA’s first three-time slam dunk champion.
- Lebron James (#3) is the most centralised in the network.
Top 20 NBA players on Twitter by influence (july 2012)